Menu

Front Forums General PC Config Requirement for Maxwell Render 4

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Forester Forester 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chandrakala.Raikar
    Chandrakala.Raikar
    Participant

Hello All,
    I would like to know what is the best system config to get Maxwell render 4 running smoothly. I currently use Maxwell 4 for Rhino.
    My current PC config is :
    i5 3570k processor
    Asus P8H77 M Pro MOBO
    8 GB(4×2) 1600Mhz RAM
    Quadro K2200 4GB Graphics
    1TB Seagate HDD

Please let me know how absolute the above config is and if possible kindly suggest one that does not cost more that 2000 USD.

CSR

Mihai
    Mihai
    Keymaster

My suggestion is this:

CPU i7 6700K (Good performance for the price)
    GPU GTX 1070 (Almost as fast as the GTX 1080 but about half the price. Later when Maxwell 4 supports multiple GPU rendering, you can always buy a second GTX 1070 and have really fast rendering)

As much RAM as you can afford. 24/32 GB should be ok.

Get two 2TB drives so you can use one for backup.

For the OS and system get an SSD of 256 GB so the OS and your apps open fast.

All this should be below 2000 USD.

About Maxwell rendering on the GPU which was introduced in V4 – keep in mind that for now it’s still really a work in progress and not all features work on the GPU. But once they do – you should see a lot faster rendering on the GPU compared to CPU, especially for you since you do product/design renders. So invest in the latest GPU series which is the 10xx from Nvidia which uses their newest “Pascal” architecture. This way you are sure that your computer is future proof for a long time and like I mentioned you can invest later in a second GPU card when Maxwell will be able to render on multiple GPUs (currently it can only use one card even if you have two or more in your computer).

Chandrakala.Raikar
    Chandrakala.Raikar
    Participant

Hello Mihai ,

Thanks for your suggestion. I would want to build this Rig mainly for “Caustics” rendering(Light Source behind the lenses).So do you think this config above will serve my purpose or shpud I go in for Dual CPU PC with Xeon Processor with other specs remaining lik ethe one you suggested.
    Kindly reply.

CSr

Mihai
    Mihai
    Keymaster

Dual Xeons would be ideal, but you mentioned a limit of 2000USD. If you can find some older ones, maybe, but check some online benchmarks first comparing with some i7 series CPUs. Look for benchmarks that test rendering specifically, you can look for Cinebench benchmarks for example since it’s a very popular rendering benchmark tool. For newer Xeons, I doubt you’ll find a dual config within 2000USD. Dual CPU motherboards are also more expensive than single ones.

Joris
    Joris
    Participant

Hello,

In response to the suggestion for RAM: for the moment I’m using 12GB but I would like to replace it with 24GB or 32GB.
    Wat would you recommend?

To give an idea, 12GB works mostly fine, but when I have a few large renders open in combination with Photoshop it is a problem to the point the computers gets very slow or sometimes even crashes. I also want to work more with Maxwell grass and Maxwell references for trees, …

Thanks,
    Joris

Forester
    Forester
    Participant

Certainly, put as much RAM on your computer (or laptop) as it will hold. It makes a huge difference in manipulating your scene elements, and a significant difference in rendering.

By the way, the current nVidia 1070 and 1080 pretty much perform as well as a Xeon card (or card set). But they are substantially cheaper. If you intend to purchase an nVidia 1070 or 1080, try to select the version with the most cores your money allows. I’ve got a Xeon on one machine and a new 1080 on another, with otherwise identical cpus and ram and motherboards. There is no discernable difference in processing ability and render times between the new 1080 and the slightly older Xeon card.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Newsletter