Menu

Front Forums General Understanding UV

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Mihai Mihai 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Songyun89
    songyun89
    Participant

Hi Mihai,

Thank you for creating such professional tutorial videos. I have made it halfway through the series and have played around with Maxwell for a while now. I use the Material Assistants alot but would like to go much further than that and get a thorough appreciation for manipulating UV when dealing with textures and bump maps? I am sure you will be covering this in the series but I was also wondering if you knew some good articles online that might explain this?

Many thanks for your help,
    Song

Mihai
    Mihai
    Keymaster

Hi,

It’s great to hear you’re enjoying to tutorials 🙂 If you use Rhino then I cover how to manipulate UVs extensively in the course (Basics & Beyond) in regards to Rhino and the Maxwell plugin. Look especially at videos BB15 and BB25. As for other applications they each have their little peculiarities so I suggest just searching for tutorials for the specific 3D app you use. The basic idea though is that when you have a complex shape you will need to “unwrap” its UVs so your 2D textures can be applied with as little stretching and smearing as possible on the 3D geometry. All major 3D apps now feature such tools, some better than others. I can also highly recommend a standalone UV unwrapper which is called Unfold3D. It’s a bit expensive but if you need perfect UVs and you need to unwrap a lot of models it can save a LOT of time. Extremely powerful and can also handle very heavy, and messy meshes, which you would typically get when you tessellate a NURBS model.

Mdfmuse
    mdfmuse
    Participant

Hello Mihai:

I am greatly enjoying your Basics and Beyond Maxwell course, and am now at video #26. This video, and #25, go into some depth about creating multiple UV maps for one piece of geometry (so as to be able to apply different text textures to different areas of the same geometry, for instance). You show how to create the UV maps in Rhino. I am confused about the possibility of creating new UV maps for existing geometry within Maxwell Studio. I use Blender as my 3D modeler, and import .OBJ into Maxwell Studio, so I am working only in Maxwell Studio while setting up my scene. I know you can choose an Object in Maxwell, then access the ‘UV Sets’ area, which allows creating new UV’s by clicking the ‘New’ button. I assume that I can create multiple new UV sets by clicking ‘New’ and giving each UV set a name. But the actual mechanics of doing this are not clear to me. For instance, do I just use the triangle selector (identified in Maxwell as “Enter in select triangles mode”) to choose the desired portion of the geometry needed for a new UV map (and then select the desired area)? Once this area is selected, I understand to RMB-click and choose ‘Group Triangles’ and give this group a name. But how do I then associate that triangle group with a new UV set? In your videos, you demonstrate how to choose UV channels in Rhino, but it is not clear to me how to do the same thing within Maxwell Studio. I understand that I can choose a channel within a BSDF layer’s chip selector (such as the chip selector for Reflectance 0), but how is the channel number I choose here associated with the new UV sets I have created and the new Triangle Groups I have created? Thanks for any input on this!

Mihai
    Mihai
    Keymaster

But how do I then associate that triangle group with a new UV set?

This is simply not possible in Studio. Each new UV set that you add is applied to the entire geometry. You can’t position individual UV “islands” either in Studio, like you can with the UV editor in Rhino. The only thing you can do is that in your material, you associate a texture with this new UV channel, and/or apply this material only to a certain triangle group. So in a way you achieve the same functionality but a bit differently and it works ok in most cases. Lets say you need to apply a logo only to one part of your object, and it shouldn’t also project to the other side of the object, and you need the logo texture to be projected using a planar UV set so that you have precise control over the positioning of the logo textures.

– So you create the planar UV set on your object. Now you will have at least 2 UV sets, the original and this new planar one, which will be at channel 1 (in case you only have two UV sets on the object).
    – You create a duplicate of your main object material and add a layer which uses a layer mask to hide everything but the logo. Any texture used in this “logo layer”, including the layer mask, you set to use channel 1 and not any other channel.
    – You create a new triangle group which will be enough triangles to cover the area of the logo material.
    – You apply the logo material to this triangle group.

If it’s a case that the textures used in this secondary logo material don’t matter if they project to the “other side” of the object (like I mention in one of the videos), then you don’t need to create a triangle group or a separate logo material. What you can do instead is just add a new layer to your main material, add the logo layer mask to it and so your logo “material” will simply just be a layer of the main material that’s applied to the object. The advantage being that you don’t have duplicate main materials.

You may have some viewport update issues when you change the channel nr for a certain texture (it will still show you in the viewport that it’s applied using the old UV set). In this case, reapply the material to the object (or triangle group) and the viewport should update correctly. Also you can check with FIRE if you’re not sure the viewport is showing you what will actually be sent to Maxwell.

Adne32
    adne32
    Participant

Hi Mihai

An questions regarding UV-mapping. We are working with Rhino for Mac so the the unwrapping options are none. Thinking of buying Unfold3d. But if we unwrap an object in Unfold3d and then import it in Maxwell is not the uv-set locked if you want to apply an real scale material?

Regards
    Magnus

Mihai
    Mihai
    Keymaster

Hi Magnus,

The real scale materials can only work with a cubic UV set, because when you change in the Texture Picker from “Relative” to “Meters” what’s happening behind the scenes is that Studio (or the plugin) creates a cubic UV set of 1meter in size, no matter the size of your object. And this is the UV set that this particular texture is going to use.

If you use a custom UV set then your only option is to play with the Tiling settings to make the texture look more or less the size it would be in the real world, on your particular object.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Newsletter