Making-of Radomonte Kato

In this new Making-of I decided to present you a project that revolves around the modeling / rendering of a product by replicating a photographic set.

Here is a new interesting making-of from Leonardo Giomarelli. Also check out his fantastic materials on Gumroad. See the project renders at the bottom of this post.

3D project

The product is the Radomonte Kato tap developed in 5 variants. As always, a good modeling is fundamental for the final rendering, and equally important is the UV laying phase. This will improve the management of textures:

On this project I divided the drafting into cylindrical and flat meshes by
exporting the 2 selections in a .psd file

In this way it was enough to apply the materials to the model with UVW projection and everything went immediately in place. For a good draft, help yourself with a “Checker Texture” and, when you apply it to the model, make sure it is not deformed, otherwise the materials you apply may also be deformed.


For this project I used photographic studio lighting, so I built my set taking care of only what the camera frames. For the lights I always used a large primary primary light source to which I added secondary lights with warmer light as needed in order to have a chromatic diversity of reflections on the taps.

I would like to point out that in the kitchen set I used a top light oriented towards a panel with white material in order to create an indirect light to avoid flattening the subject.


The tap material comes from my metallic materials that can be purchased on Gumroad. This in particular has been greatly simplified to make it quick to calculate. Furthermore, in this case, no stains or signs of wear are needed as I am simulating a catalog image.

Post production

On these shots the post production is almost nothing and therefore I would like to focus on another aspect related to the final rendering of the images or the Multi exposure.
In particular, this technique was useful for the detailed image of the kitchen tap:

In the original shot the tap lever was slightly overexposed so I called Maxwell’s Multilight by lowering the light responsible for this problem and I saved a new image. At this point it was sufficient to superimpose it on the original using only the correct part of the lever.


Leave a Reply